View Single Post

Old 02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,198 Times in 2,860 Posts
Default West Virginia State Police keeping 4566's

I heard from a nice fellow (who would know) that the West Virginia State Police have decided to stay with the 3rd generation 4566. I have not confirmed it yet from a second source but this fellow is reliable so I thought I'd share the good news.

They evaluated the Glock and Glock submitted an attractive offer.

Then S&W came in with the free M&P's deal in exchange for your 4566's - and were politely told "no thanks!".

He told me "S&W then pulled out the stops and worked a deal to keep the contract" and agreed "to continue making 4566's for the agency from the Houlton ME plant."

Hopefully some of the overuns will be available to the public.

Locally there are two agencies who have also remained with the 4566 and allow other S&W metal framed 45's to be used as well. I passed this onto their firearms guys. If they garner more info I'll post it here.

With LAPD currently running a course for those officers trained on Glocks to transition to S&W 3rd gen 45's, it would appear that S&W could probably benefit financially from a run of 4566's. I won't hold my breath.

I know I'll be retiring - in twelve more years - and on my last day there will be a 4566 in my holster. Reliable, accurate, durable, with a great trigger - and looks good doing all that! Regards 18DAI.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: