View Single Post

Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Default "Beagle" your mold, if necessary

Mike,

Let me add an option to what Paul has just said. If you need to increase cast bullet diameter by a few thousandths of an inch, simply "beagle" the mold. Check out Cast Boolits website for tons of info on the subject, but here's the gist: cut tiny strips of aluminum foil and place them between and below the cavities in your mold. This will increase diameter and the very slight out-of-roundness is not a problem. Play with it a little, and occasionally you'll have to fiddle with getting a piece of foil back in place, but it works. Simple, fast, effective.

As for bullet weights, I suggest you consider something in the 180-200g range, which is these British service revolvers were designed for. Lyman's 358430 is widely used in this application, as it has the right weight and a blunt, round nose similar to the original .38/200. Generally speaking, lighter bullets will shoot lower. In my modern S&W Mods. 32-1 and 33-1, which were regulated for 145-46g bullets, I find that 158's still shoot very close to the sights, and that 200's are noticeably higher. I've never tried light bullets, as I'm generally a fan of the "heavy/slow" approach. I find they have less blast & flash, plus they penetrate very nicely. Felt recoil is more of a shove than a snap. I'm shooting my new-to-me Enfield and my newly-returned S&W Victory for the first time later today or tomorrow. Wish me luck! :-)

Last edited by LouisianaMan; 02-26-2011 at 08:25 AM.