View Single Post

Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMS View Post
"Being 22LR ammo probably outsells the 22mag ammo at least 1000 to 1 (my guess) wouldn't you think that maybe it has more of a chance to see a misfire reported causing the issue to look much larger than it really is?"

Probably to some extent, yes.

"What sort of percentage do you believe exists with uneven distribution caused misfires on the 22lr? "

I'll take a WAG at 3% overall.

"Overall, I believe the quality and reliability of all rimfire ammo has improved as manufacturing techniques have improved in spite of record high production levels."

That would have been my thought as well, generally speaking. But look at what I found this morning:
.22 LR Ammunition Accuracy — 55 Ammo Types Tested Daily Bulletin

Since my allegations of poor quality by some makers is now beyond dispute, for me at least, I guess we'll just have to have different points of view on the subject. I still suspect poor priming compound distribution in .22LR ammo v. .22 mag ammo.

Anyway, thanks, Hired Hand and tomcatt51.
Poor quality now beyond all dispute. 3% dud rate?? That's 3 out of every hundred.

I quickly went over the said report of 55 different types of 22lr ammo tested and not one mention of any duds. I must of missed it. The report was on group sizes from one rifle. Didn't see anything on reliability issues. Please direct us to the part where they were having misfires.

I am confident with any of my personal rimfire firearms we could go buy anything you want off my local stores shelves and we could go 1000 rounds without a malfunction. By your figures I should have 30 rounds left over needing at least a second strike to go off. All I can say is not with any of my current rimfires.

High Standard Double 9
Henry Golden boy lever
Ruger MKII
Ruger 10/22
Ruger 77/22mag
Ruger Bearcat
Ruger Single Six
Remington 512
Remington 541S
S&W 617
Weatherby XXII 17HMR

I know I'm missing something but I'm confident they all will go 1000 without incident.