View Single Post

Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 AM

Liked 1,016 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALREB View Post

The most common problem with the 4516 is failure to feed. face it you can only make a spring that a few inches long so powerfull, double spring whatever, the slide functions so fast that the mag spring cant keep up.

then add that the gun is lighter, shorter grip etc, the alloy frame guns are worse, 1911, 4516, whatever make. If you are standing, 2 hand hold, concentrating on your grip you can make them function pretty well.

then change to bailing out of a car, combat situation, slightly loose grip, tired mag spring, etc and you have a problem, .45s were meant to be a med to large size pistol not micro or mini.
I am not trying to set up an arguement here, but the above makes sense in real world police shootings.

I teach cadets that up close, they may not have time to line up sights, they may have to shoot from unconventional positions, and to avoid just standing there.

I have carried a Colt Officer's ACP 3.5 on plain clothes duty for roughly 3+ years. On the range this gun has performed flawlessly with standard two hand or one hand alternate side (firm grip). the factory Kings 2 piece recoil spring are a GRIZZLEY BEAR to manipulate with my dehorned slide and requires a strong grip.

Uniform carry is a 5" 1911 style pistol.

While the OACP is an easy carry for plain clothes...based on the experiences by these SIS officers who have experienced gun fire while performing their LE duties....

I want every advantage on my side and want to minimize any shortcomings of a short slide semi auto while in unconventional positions.

we can train for proficiency and muscle memory, but when the need arises, I want the mechanics of the gun to work 100% of the time in all positions.

Yeah, we are talking what ifs, however I have been eyeballing a 4.25" Smith E Series.....now to convince the wife.

In training, I have experienced several misfires with a G21 and ball ammo. I cannot recall the exact mishap...but was told it was likely from limp wrist. I was probably shooting fast strings and softened up a tad and since Glock are lighter weight, they are more prone to limp wristing malfunctions.

I have shot countless rounds with a 4" and 5" semis with no malfunctions in various positions and I am leaning on parking the Officers as a back up in my bag to a Commander length gun for plain clothes carry.

again, my two cents....but I take the word of those who have been there.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 03-01-2011 at 01:14 AM.