Thread: 586 project
View Single Post

Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM

Liked 3,591 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
I have a 586 project gun as well. I'm turning it into a 596 (44 spl) with 4" Mtn Gun barrel. What is the M recall you spoke about?
It has to do with the early no dash and dash one models. They have been recalled to fix primer back flow issues. S&W changes out the firing pin and the....I'm drawing a blank....the dohicky with the hole. They then stamp an "M" in the crane above the model number. Since mine is a nodash taht did not have the "M" stamp the shipping both ways was covered by S&W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACC1 View Post
Since you're posting project process, could you mention group size
with the current sights, and again wih the night sights? Just
wondering if there's any difference in width etc. to affect groups.
Thanks for posting, pretty interesting. TACC1
That I can do, I'm dying to get to the range this weekend and give it a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j38 View Post
That's a pretty serious-looking piece of hardware you have there. VERY nice!

I'll look forward to a range report when the time come 'round - 'cause I know you'll be shootin' that gun!
Yup, it was built to be a shooter. Since its been reworked it has no collectors value and will always be a redone 586.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye Smith View Post
It looks so nice it is almost a shame to shoot and get the turn line and dirt on it. That was money well spent and a good project. Now all you need is the custom 686 cylinder and you can go to Pickaway and try her out.
When the bill is tallied up to this point I have right around 6 bills in it, I figure the night sights will run another 90 and the extra cylinder milled for moon clips will be another $150ish and then the leather will run around $150-200 for a carved Tom Threepersons.
I know I'll never recoup the money I put into it, but then I don't ever plan on even trying.