View Single Post

Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
US Veteran

Liked 26 Times in 8 Posts

31, and owner of a "plastic" M&P 45C, M&P 15A, and a Model 37 Ithaca 12 Gauge.

I do like the look and feel of a old revolver, but for my practical use for a concealed carry, I choose to buy a "plastic" gun. I'm not at the point in my life where i have enough disposable income to collect many more firearms, but if i did, i would very much like to own some of the nice s&w revolvers of past generations.

I would like to say that some of the comments here are very interesting. I would say the avg age is closer to 50, and a previous comment is correct in that most of the younger crowd (myself included) are of the M&P background. And in most cases, much like mine, i think we "younger" guys tend to buy the "plastic" guns for the simple fact that we like to own the weapons we use on duty and become more proficient on our own time.

On another note...i know that when you use the term "plastic" you use it in a negative way, but i'd be careful with that. In some cases you may be painting yourselfs in a corner, and continuing the segregation of gun owners. It sounds a lot like you are turning your nose up at us younger guys. Most of us have thick skin, and can brush off comments like that, but you may be turning others away at the same time.

If you look at the average age (here and at your local club) you may notice something startling. The younger crowd is getting smaller. What is going to happen when the younger generation takes your place, are your guns going to go with you, or have you passed on the knowledge and appreciation that goes with it in order for those types of guns to stand the test of time?

I'll get off my soapbox now...hopefully this makes sense, and i provoked some good thoughts.

V/r
Brian
The Following 2 Users Like Post: