View Single Post

Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Liked 522 Times in 329 Posts
Default Factory "Acid-Etched Engraved" 38 Dbl. Action Top-Break

I thought I'd bring this "Unique" Revolver to all the Early S&W Top-Break Collectors attention!! I collected S&W Top-Break Revolvers for many,many years & have probably had 200-300 pass through my hands over the years,but I never seen or ever heard any mention in the S&W Community regarding a "Factory" Acid-Etched Engraved Revolver of any Model until now!! The Revolver I'm mentioning is posted on GB right now. I'm sure some of you "Must" have seen it by now & I would have expected to see some sort of post related to it,but have not,so I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. It is a Nickel-Plated 3rd Model 38 Dbl.Action Top-Break w/ Factory Documented "Acid-Etched Engraving"!! Roy's letter states it was shipped to Meachem Arms Co. St. Louis,Mo. November 20,1889. It's in "Very High" Condition,but not quite perfect. This Style of Engraving is very similar to what is seen on Sword Blades & I'm wondering if this work could possibly be attributed to Harry Jarvis who started working for S&W somewhere near this time period. I've never heard any mention as to his age when he started at S&W,but working for Ames Sword Co. would certainly have given him the knowledge to do something like this. I know in the past Bill Cross (Doc 44) has mentioned Harry was working for S&W at the very beginning of the 20th century & since Jarvis was known to work for the Ames Sword Co. previous to being employed by S&W that possibly he had something to do with this work being done. Now this is just speculation on my part,but since his early work history is somewhat unknown I'd thought I'd make mention of it. It might be worth stopping by to take a quick peek because it is quite a unique piece. Hopefully this will spark some feedback because I'm anxious to see if anyone else may have any knowledge relating to an Early Factory S&W Revolvers with this style of engraving.