View Single Post

Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default My S&W FBI Performance Center 1076 and FBI 10mm Selection/Testing Documentation

Where to begin...my father was a Special Agent in the FBI for almost 27 years before his premature passing at the age of 52. This Saturday would have been his 66th birthday so in his honor I share this with you.

He joined the Bureau while Hoover still ran the show and was as old school as they came. He was officially part of the KMA Club at the time of his passing. He worked in South FL in the 70's and the early half of the 80's. He fought the drug trade before a contract forced our family's move to Memphis. In the FBI, he was a Firearm's Instructor, Defensive Tactics and Street Survival Instructor as well as a Pilot in Command. He was sent to Mexico and Russia to teach there as well. I even got to play with simunition from time to time with my friends. He also served a short stint in the SOG after a long undercover operation based in Memphis.

This was my father's last service pistol with the Bureau. He loved this gun and the firepower it gave him even if he did carry it sometimes in a terrible, touristy, blue fanny pack. My father was friends with Ben Grogan, one of the agents who was shot in the infamous shootout in Miami in 1986. I have the bookmark in my father's Bible from Grogan's funeral, one that most associate with the Bureau's search for the right round with which to arm their agents. That round was the 10mm and that gun was the S&W Model 1076

Here are the pictures of the gun, the S&W Performance Center case, specific documentation related to the FBI issuing of the gun as well as the documentation of the FBI's testing of the different caliber rounds that led them to choose the 10mm. I hope you enjoy...

The gun itself

The FBI Weapon Record Book - A record of every round my dad or I ever fired through it

FBI Issuing Information - Guidelines/Instructions Upon Issue

The Performance Center logo on the PC Case

My father's Firearms Instructor Manual - Firearm Training Unit - Quantico, VA

1990 FBI Ammunition Tests

1992 FBI Ammunition Tests

FBI Testing of Hydrashok Ammunition

Original FBI Issue Rounds

***DISCLAIMER - My apologies for the duplication as this is my first thread I have started!***

Last edited by WJFranklin's Son; 03-09-2011 at 10:39 PM.