View Single Post

Old 03-12-2011, 04:22 PM
US Veteran

Liked 530 Times in 243 Posts

Used to be you could find PD and security trade in Ruger Six revolvers for dirt cheap at gun shows, I got a few of mine for as low as $150-200 with heavily worn blue or scuffed stainless, and in some cases rust damage from being kept in a leather holster for decades. If you find a Six in any kind of workable condition for below $300 these days you better snap it up........prices for Sixes is rising more every day. I have seen a few beat up looking ones go for $350-400 on GunBroker.

Got this security trade .38 Special Service Six for $180, along with a better condition "twin" for $250. Get them while you can, in a few years I can see nice Sixes being $700 guns. In some cases they already are, and some of them are "collectible" now.

I prefer these for shooting, I love my fixed sight GP100's.

I have over a dozen of the Ruger DA Six revolvers, I vastly prefer the Speed and Service six, I don't much care for the Security Six and the 1 that I do have is about to get a Bushnell Phantom scope mounted on it. I just don't like adjustable sight revolvers in general, though and will take the fixed sight equivalent every time. The DA Six revolvers don't have the best DA pulls, but they aren't target guns, they were made as duty guns, to be stronger and more durable, and more importantly cheaper than the S&W 19 and 66 to attract police and civilian sales, which they did, much to the chagrin of S&W.

The coil mainspring will never be as smooth as a flat spring, like S&W. But with a lot of use, the guns do slick up pretty good. I put a lighter mainspring in one of my very well used Speed Sixes and it's as slick as any Ruger could ever be.

The best statement I ever heard describing the Six series revolvers and their stagy DA pull, is "The Security Six is more of a Single Action revolver with the ability to shoot Double Action in an emergency" I also like to think of the Security Six as a double action Blackhawk.

IMO the GP100 is a better revolver, it is stronger, more durable and has a better DA pull, in general. Ruger got rid of the standard system of using the extractor rod to lock the front of the cylinder, and used a lock on the crane instead.

Either the Six or the GP100 would be very difficult to wear out in any of our lifetimes, but the GP is better suited to heavy magnums. I collect the .38 Special Six and GP revolvers so I have 0 worry about ever wearing one out.

Last edited by stantheman86; 03-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: