View Single Post

Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Liked 503 Times in 239 Posts
Default M&P 15-22 Ejection Port Dust Cover by PainterlyShotGroup review.

Hey all!

Painterlyshotgroup (Doug) was kind enough to send me out an ejection port dust cover to install and review. It took me a couple weeks to get this done due to other things going on at home, but I finally got it done!

The components arrived packed inside a baggie with a full sheet of instructions. The components are the actual door, the hinge plate, the hinge rod, the spring and some 3M VHB Tape to affix the hinge plate to the upper receiver.

I have an early serial number rifle, it's been shot a lot and it's been cleaned A LOT. I think my use of CLP with Teflon made my install harder than it normally would be. Typically the 3M VHB tape grabs a hold of what ever it touches and it does not let go! But in my case I could not get the tape to stick to my receiver no matter how much I prepped the surface.

I ultimately chose to use a type of Super Glue marketed by Locktite it's a two part product that uses an activator and a Super Glue. You apply the activator to both pieces of plastic and let them set for a minute, then you apply the glue to one piece of plastic only and then bond them together.

That did the trick for me and this door is not coming off! But for those of you with relatively new guns or guns that have never been tainted on the outside with oil, you should have no problems with the adhesion of the VHB tape.

Fit and Finish are excellent for a hand made part, I don't know how Doug has the time and patience to do this, but he did a fantastic job! He used a material called Kydex which is utilized to make holsters for pistols and revolvers. Doug then sands the outside of the door smooth and adds a magnet to the back side of the door which holds the door shut against the bolt.

When you pull the charge handle the bolt slides back and the door flips down just like it would on a regular AR. The only thing you can not do with this door is keep the bolt back and the door closed. But honestly I'm not sure why that would be an issue.

I can't say how well the door will keep debris out, I don't intend on testing this by dragging my rifle through sand, stones and dirt. But as far as looks and function goes, it does what it's supposed to do, and looks great while doing it!

A video will be available shortly but in the mean time here are some photos to chew on.

As promised the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tMi...el_video_title

Last edited by Brett248Vista; 03-13-2011 at 08:32 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: