View Single Post

Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Liked 1,610 Times in 884 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yncrogers View Post
Cmort -

I love the fact that PA is a shall issue state. I do not like the fact that as long as you have never been caught (i.e. you don't have a police record) you can carry a gun with no training. Just go to your LGS, plunk your money on the counter and walk out with the gun of your choice. Go to your local police, fill out papers, wait a couple weeks and take finished papers to courthouse - ta-da you can now carry said gun just about anywhere. I grew up around guns, spent 21 years in the Navy and currently carry on a daily basis. I would not be against having to take a basic gun safety course to get my CCW.
Well , in a way I agree. Seeing as how I was shot by a friend with a pistol , a permit , and zero training. But it still boils down to each individual taking responsibility for their own actions.
Who's gonna say just what the course should consist of? And how much the fee should be! The state or local police? Heck , many of them are just as dangerous. And I dare say most don't like civillians carrying guns.
There have been several incidents of cops and accidental discharges in the news the past years , including a few cops getting shot and killed by fellow officers.

I grew up around guns too. Got my first .22 revolver at 15. Been a casual and competitive shooter , collector and occasionally a dealer ever since.
The gun club I belonged to many years ago , before my Navy days , offered NRA basic , advanced and instructor courses as well as PA Act-231 certification. I took them when I was 18.

As you may know , the Navy offered very little in pistol training besides yearly qualification. Even getting qualified as a rangemaster was a joke. At least back in my day.