View Single Post

Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM

Liked 94 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalty View Post
Not to be a jerk, but I think expecting the same accuracy from a ~$700 S/A Range Officer as a Les Baer ~$2,000+ is a little unrealistic. Seems like expecting a Chevy Cruze to handle like a Corvette. Just out of curiousity, did Les Baer quote you an OTD price on a custom with Accuracy Package? Cause I am guessing you can buy 2 more Range Officer's for the price they'll quote you and still have money for ammo. You might find sending it to a custom shop like Cylinder & Slide for an accuracy package beneficial--there are tons of custom shops out there, this is just the first one that came to mind.
You're not being a jerk, and it's not fair to expect a $700 gun to shoot like an expensive custom gun.

Likewise, I don't think it's a good deal for a new $700 pistol to shoot no better than my buddy's beat up $300 Norinco. Last month, another one of my shooting buddies got a Range Officer, and his shoots 1-1/2" to 2" groups at 25 yards from his hand or mine. I just want mine somewhere in that ballpark. I was stunned to learn that Springfield considered a 3-1/2" group to be "within spec". I would have kept my money in my pocket if that spec had been on their website.

I just called Les Baer because they are a very highly regarded pistolmaker. I wanted some basis for comparison. I was just excited to learn what exceptional levels of accuracy they claim, and I am seriously considering saving my pennies and dimes to get one.

I'm going to see what this gun does when it returns. If it doesn't shoot like the one my buddy got, I'm going to sell it and put that money into a Les Baer fund.