View Single Post

Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Liked 62 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshock View Post
I was shooting 3.2 gr. of HP38 (same powder as 231) with the Zero 148 HBWC's from my PPC gun. They are accurate however they were leading the cylinder something ferocious, and the forcing cone more than I was use to. Another shooter was having the same problem with the Zero's, but I don't know what powder he uses. I am trying 3.1 grs. of HP38 with the Precision Delta 148 HBWC to see if that helps.
I hope I don't hijack or divert the thread, but I've had some leading issues with the Precision Delta 148 hbwc (match lube). I loaded them in 38 special cases (double cannelure-for wadcutters), over 2.7 grains of Bullseye, with about .10" bullet exposed. It leaded the forcing cone of three revolvers I shot it in (SW model 14, SW 27, and Ruger Security Six). Two of those revolvers are 357 chambered. Leading was seen within 10 rounds (two loads of 5 rounds), and I stopped to wire brush out the lead after 15 rounds fired. I bought the "match lube" as it was supposed to be better.

In trying to eliminate leading, I ran a bunch of the PD 148 gr HBWCs through my SAECO 0.360" sizing die with 50/50 NRA lube (beeswax/alox). I set up the lubing to lube both bullet grooves. I also loaded down to 2.5 grains of Bullseye. I reshot. No leading. Accuracy was excellent (5 shot groups that would be covered with a quarter at 50 feet from a two handed rested position).

I realize I changed two variables (lubed bullet and lower powder), but I wanted to eliminate leading. I'll play with it more (lubing one lube, then trying 2.7 grains of Bullseye).

I emailed my leading concern to Precision Delta, and within a few days I received a phone call (in the evening) from someone from PD who wanted to follow up on my concerns. He suggested running 2.9 grains of W231. He said they don't get any leading reports, and the the "match lube" was Rooster Jacket. I thought that was excellent customer service.

I just wish I didn't get leading at the 2.7 gr Bullseye loading. I may try running a batch of bullets with Lee Liquid alox, and let dry, or put a second coat of Rooster Jacket. Prec Delta may have to use a double coat of Rooster jacket themselves.

I haven't shot Zero bullets-can't compare leading to them.