View Single Post

Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 AM
US Veteran

Liked 134 Times in 58 Posts

John,

My first exposure to the Sterling was in Kenya in 86'. We were training with their Para's out in the bush doing patrolling and airborne ops. My job was as a 18C-SF Eng but did do quite abit of shooting with their guns and mortars. Never experience any problems with them. Did see what a elephant looks thru a sight of XM16E1 rifle sights at dusk.

Later during my years in Iraq have come across them yearly in large numbers over there. As during my last year we had a range set up on our SF compound on Balad and every Wednesday night I would run a foreign weapon famialiarization fire (I was the Range NCOIC, 75m flat range with a 485 yd KD range to include 81mm mortar pit). The Sterling was also used and never stuttered. Been told that you can use STEN mags in them and have found Sterlings with STEN mags in them but I've never fired that combo. Haven't come accross any here in Afghanistan however.

Me firing the Sterling, Balad Iraq in 05'

My collection of SMGs in Iraq 08'

Iraqi 08' confiscation

The gun is very controllable and just gives a "pop,pop" One of the most enjoyable SMGs in my experience and would love to have one chambered in 10mm if possible.

CD

Last edited by Combat_Diver; 03-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.