View Single Post

Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,181 Times in 645 Posts

See Mark ,Everyones likes dislikes experiences differ. What you have to decide is .DONT BE IN A HURRY !!!!
What do I want the pistol for, just fun accurate shooting,do I need a gun to shoot 1" at 25yrds,is 2-3" ok for my needs,Bullseye(you will probably want a 45 anyway),Action pistol,the 952/ppc S&W safety set-up really doesnt lend itself to this type of shooting,it can work,but sweeping a thumb UP and then regripping isnt the best.Using your offhand to sweep the safety is ok but not the best practice.So you need to decide what you want the pistol for,how versatile you want it to be.You can definitely do more adjustments with a 1911 type pistol,weight/grips/sight/ribs/etc.Sounds like you want a 9mm so there are alot of choices.
The best way to decide is to shoot the different guns,or at least feel them in your hand,try the trigger (if they will let you) and see how you like them.For instance my 1911s all have short triggers,otherwise I have to adjust my grip.If you buy a 1911 w/o a short trigger then have to have one installed =more money.There is not a company out there that makes a 1911 that will shoot comparable to the 952/ppc for the same money- period.I have shot and tested them all.Springfield/Les Baer/STI/Sig maybe shoot the same,but not better and all at or north of 2,000, some way north.
However if you decide you like an other make better, then it is worth the money to get what you want or what works best for you.THE FIRST TIME, at this price level try not to make too many changes.
YES someone may have gotten lucky and got an out of the box gun that shoots 1" at 25yds, but its rare. Ive seen 92fs's that will, but after afew thousand rounds they wont shoot 2". Its not an easy decision,most of us have spent thousands trying to figure it out.IF you have the money its easy buy several types for different uses.In todays world,,, Who has that money.Everyone here is trying to help you not have to do that.good luck Bob