View Single Post

Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Liked 106 Times in 70 Posts

I am just getting started with this press, primer feed, powder measure(Pro), and 4 die pistol sets.
I am not real mechanically inclined and everything new at one time somewhat confused me. However, I finally just jumped in and installed the powder measure and it worked. Same with the primer feed. I very carefully aligned the bracket for that. Hardest part was realizing it just hung there!
I used Unique for my first couple of batches of reloads (45 ACP and 45 Colt.) I ended up using a disk about 3 sizes larger than recommended. Got variations in the charges and they seemed to get heavier as I progressed. Got some leakage too. Going back out the next day and looking over my setup I realized that I had my scale sitting on the bench right behind my press. Each time I processed a round the scale would jigger around a little, so my variation was probably due to the scale moving.
I have since bought some HP38 and it measured like a dream, with the exact disk recommended by the tables.
Still wanting to use Unique, I cleaned my measure out, puffed graphite over all moving surfaces, and worked the mechanism several times. I had also noticed that you need to be very careful in tightening the brass nuts--get them firmly tightened, but not excessively. Yesterday, I loaded 100 rounds of 45 ACP with Unique. I believe I used one disk higher than recommended. EVERY charge I weighed hit right on the nose. After dropping about 10 rounds without moving the measure I started loading. I weighed every one of the first five rounds, every fifth one for awhile, then every tenth one, and the last one. No variance.
The last piece of equipment I bought was the primer feed. I had read lots of negative about it. It is the junkiest, rinky dink thing I ever saw. Was careful lining up the bracket. In about 500 rounds it has NEVER failed to load a primer. And I love seating them on the press.
Everything about the system is working great now. I could build up a lot of speed if I could fumble the bullet into the case faster. I am old and slow, with a little arthur in my thumbs and fingers.
It WILL all come together.