View Single Post

Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,416 Times in 3,292 Posts

To me a 4" heavy barrel like on a 29 or 57 looks OK with Targets.

A tapered barrel like the 27 needs at least 5" of length to balance the large stocks. I go both ways with the 5" guns, Targets or Magnas work for me.

Anything over 5" definitely needs Targets in my opinion.

A gun with a 4" tapered barrel with target sights looks OK with Target stocks (but barely).

A 4" tapered barrel with fixed sights absolutely requires Magnas.

I hate finger-groove stocks as I have fat fingers so they feel horrible and are uncomfortable under heavy recoil. I hate rubber grips because of the texture and the funny smell that stays on my hands for days after handling them. I also hate aftermarket stocks that hang down way below the butt of the frame (can anyone say Hogue?). Makes the gun sit high and makes recoil feel worse. I hate stocks that feel thick. This is my main complaint with most ivory stocks I have tried. They are way too thick and bulky.

These are bad about that and I need to find someone who can thin them for me.

I have found that in general older stocks are thinner and have a more comfortable contour. Stocks made in the 1950s feel much better in my hand than do later ones. Some Targets feel absolutely clunky to me and Magnas from the late 1970s seem to have sharp corners unlike the more rounded earlier versions.

I have strong feelings about stocks on handguns. As an art teacher I am aware of aesthetics and have preferences. After 44 years of shooting I have figured out what I like and don't like. But of course this is all subjective. Everyone has his own preferences.

Last edited by Art Doc; 03-25-2011 at 10:28 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: