View Single Post

Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM
US Veteran

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerpat View Post
For cheap fun target shooting I use plastic golf balls with all the holes in them and tie a string to them, hang them from the target frame. When you hit them they really spin around; fun for kids to shoot with BB guns all the way up to archery arrows.
Many moons ago, my youngest boy, who is 41 now, used to gather balls out of the water traps at a golf course and brought home the ones that were too chewed up to be sold by the bucket at the driving range. Over the years, I've attached strings and used them for targets.

.22RF, .32acp, .38spl,.357mag and .45acp are all I've ever hit them with, but I suspect they'd stand up pretty well to most anything you want to shoot at them.
Word of caution. If you use .38spl or above and the string breaks, they will go into low Earth orbit.

I used to be able to hit them at 25yds when I put my mind to it, but these days they are fairly safe at 10yds on my best days.
Still fun to shoot at them though.

I also recycle old tennis balls as targets. Much easier to hit, but less durable.

For the geriatric crowd (like me), Glucerna (and similar dietary concoctions) bottles make pretty good hanging targets also.