View Single Post

Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Liked 13,775 Times in 4,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1941 View Post
Trigger stops were once pretty common on Smiths, especially those that were intended for target shooting. The stop was a sort of half moon shaped piece of steel that protruded from a slot in the frame behind the trigger. It was a part that required a fair degree of hand fitting (or so I've been told). You often saw service guns with the slot but no trigger stop. This was especially true of K frames.

I don't know when the feature was dropped.

There are a couple of issues with trigger stops, at least from my point of view. One is the tendency to make the stop too long, which does not allow enough over travel for a smoth follow through.

The other is with adjustable trigger stops that are very common on 1911s. The stop can back out unless it is very well secured. Every adjustable stop I've looked at is threaded so that, if it does back out, over travel simple becomes longer. The weapon will still fire, but the quality of the trigger pull is degraded. If you are a competition shooter, this is a bad thing in the middle of a match. Might be a nasty surprise in a self defense situation, as well.

For what it's worth, both of my bullseye 1911s have welded trigger stops. The PC trigger stop is probably harmless, but I doubt it's a big advantage.

Charles
K frames has those screw held oblong stops in a milled slot in the frame behind the trigger. IF THEY GOT LOOSE AND ROTATED they could and would prevent the gun from firing. Mine 19 did just that once while I was shooting at a coon. Most LE armorers would remove them from duty guns to prevent such a mishap.
BTW I still have them a 18/19 & pre 15.