View Single Post

Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 PM

Liked 307 Times in 195 Posts

After using my "high end smith/competitor tuned" 627 for several years with the work he did on the trigger, it began to exhibit progressively more crepetations and glitches in trigger-return mode. Despite 'cleaning & oiling' finally it got downright cranky and would have definite hesitation that became a predictable failure of trigger return about 30% of the time and which I could aggravate by slow-return with careful trigger pressure as in dry fire exercise or to show someone.

Trying to figure this out and after major break=down & clean~desperately needed for sure~I put in a 11# spring.....replacing the 15 coil shortened one it came with.

That made it WORSE.

Obviously I was working under an erroneous premise.

Pondering overnight, I was struck by finally realizing it was telling me a stronger spring was in order.

I put in the 13# Wilson, and VOILA!!!!

All is right in the 627 world now. In fact, I believe it is better than when I got it. Perhaps practice/familiarity has helped.

The only light primer strikes I ever got in it was the time I forgot to tighten the strain screw properly. And yes, pay attention to the little Torx set-screw that locks it in place. IIRC it's about a T2 or T3...mighty small, had to buy a whole set of the little Torx to get one that fit.

So yes, make sure your rebound spring is not TOO light.