Thread: Cocked or not?
View Single Post

Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts
Default Cocked or not?

I was watching one of Hickock45's videos (which are all awesome, IMO, and that guy can shoot!) and he raised a point in discussing a J-frame revolver that intrigued me. It's not the first time that I have read or heard that particular point, either...and that is, in a self defense situation, you should not cock a revolver, for legal ramifications. In other words, if you have to shoot in self defense, do so in DA mode (unless, of course, you are using a SA revolver.)

Here is the link, if you wish to review it:

YouTube - 642 S&W .38 Special (Airweight J frame)

I suppose it does eliminate the possibility of you firing accidentally...since the trigger is so much lighter in DA mode. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure I understand the ramifications of cocked versus DA mode in an intentional shooting. Now, I in no way question the knowledge of Hickock45, and certainly accept his expertise...I am seeking to understand, and not challenge.

It seems to me that if I have an intruder in my home, one that is coming toward me aggressively and representing a threat to me, and I have determined to fire, it should make little to no difference if I fire from SA mode or DA mode, in terms of legality and justifiability. (I am not debating the issue of accuracy, or mechanics, either.)

What am I missing here?