Thread: Cocked or not?
View Single Post

Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
US Veteran

Liked 530 Times in 243 Posts

We don't have castle doctrine in PA, I hope that changes at some point. I have to wait to be attacked in my own home before I can shoot, I guess.....I won't get into CC laws because I would have to write a book to cover all of those.....it's a LOT more cut and dried as far as Home Defense. If someone's in your home, you don't know them and you didn't invite them there, it's pretty clear they're a threat.

In a castle doctrine state, you can give that clown a back full of 00 Buck and be legally fine......it wouldn't even matter if he was running for the door or climbing out the window, if he's in your home, fire away! Without castle doctrine there's a LOT more involved.....if a guy is carrying your TV set out the door and you pop him with a couple .357's, you could be in trouble if it's found he wasn't a "threat".....there have been numerous cases where intruders have been shot by homeowners, survived and then won in civil court. Or the homeowners were charged with manslaughter, like the case where a woman shot her stalker ex-boyfriend who broke into her house, the creep survived and was charged with attempted homicide because he "was just there to talk"

I think TX has even more generous laws applying to trespassers on your property. I'll bet there's a lot less trespassing going on in TX......