View Single Post

Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 AM

Liked 5,214 Times in 2,175 Posts
Default It ain't the gun, Gus!

or Why Match Directors turn gray and irritable.
(really, this is about Sigmas)

Another balmy day at an OK IDPA match, 90 degrees and 35 mph winds, short of SOs, and a good turnout, so the match director grabs a timer and goes to work. New shooters, including one 12 yr old shooting his first match ever, busy day.

A shooter with a Sigma shooting his fifth match, gun has been flawless, jams up on first magazine, fiddles too long with it, finally I tell him to just drop it and load the next mag; he finishes stage with no more malfunctions. I ask him if he has another mag, he does, so tell him go get it, something is wrong with that one mag.

See same shooter later on another stage, first mag is jamming, stands and fiddles with it, finally SO tells him to drop it and go on, he argues with SO, finally uses other mag without problem. I ask him if he put away the bad mag and got a spare, "No I don't think the mag is the problem, it's the gun. Sigmas are just no good." I repeat he should go get his spare mag. He refuses.

Later examination showed he had turned the follower and spring backwards 180 degrees when assembling the magazine after cleaning.
It will go in, but it won't work right that way.