View Single Post

Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,413 Times in 3,291 Posts

I recall back in the 1960s Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith and others were calling for a 41 Special for police use. The 41 Magnum was S&W's response which was not what they wanted. They complained that this caliber was too powerful for the intended purpose and they were right.

After the 41 Magnum was released several gun writers embarked on creating the 41 Special of their dreams, modifying guns into the new caliber. I bet this gun was built during this time, the owner inspired by what he read in the magazines. I assume that full-length 41 Magnums will not fit the chambers and cases must be shortened? This makes it a hand-load only proposition.

At this point, the cost of doing anything with this gun will be very high and the end result will likely be less than fully satisfying. If it were mine, I would leave it as is and appreciate it as a piece of Americana. I would load shortened 41 brass to no more than 1000 FPS with 210 grain bullets and shoot it. Nobody at the range will say they have one just like it.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: