View Single Post

Old 04-30-2011, 11:34 AM

Liked 476 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip View Post
I want a heavy penetrating load.

This is my backup gun and will be used on animal predators as well as others. I have alot of pittbulls in my area that get loose. I have my backup set up for my weakhand so I want to be able to get a dog off my other arm. The last attacking pittbul they shot took 3 rounds of 9mm and ran away to die pretty far away.
You need to rethink your strategy. For protection from light skinnned predators like the pit-bulls, you need a fast lightweight HP that will transmit it's energy and do massive damage to tissue and bone. Penetration on animals like this is a moot point. Even on the largest pit-bull 10 inches of penetration means a pass thru.....something easily done on a dog(or human) with any commercially available 125 gr .357mag jacketed HP. Shooting a heavy hardcast bullet meant for grizzly bears will pass thru without doing much damage. I suspect your story of the pit-bull that was shot three times was shot with a FMJ that did exactly nuttin' but leave a clean 9mm hole. Shooting a heavy recoiling round one handed with your weak hand is not going to make for accurate follow-up shots either. Being able to hit the animal with the proper bullet makes more sense than missing it with a round intended for dangerous game. I'd be surprised if you could keep that gun in your hand shooting those loads, one handed, weak hand, while fighting off an attack with the other.