View Single Post

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Reloads, of any kind, for SD are what I'd politely call a "poor choice" for a lot of reasons. The manufacturers don't sell their best bullets as components, we can't load them on our little hobby machines nearly as well as ammo manufacturers (my biggest is a Dillon 1050, and it's still a toy), and if you ever have to use them, GSR evidence won't/can't be admitted in court, so you can be totally screwing yourself from a legal defense standpoint, i.e. "bad guy was only 3ft away with a pick axe when he was shot, determined by GSR evidence"....that goes out the window.

Despite all of that, the reason why you should want the latest and greatest bullets, that are only available as loaded ammo, is simple.

The testing protocols that are used to gauge ammo are constantly updated based off real-world use (shooting bad guys). Every year they get more data, that data is used to adjust the tests and how much weight is given to different criteria. The reality is that the test results, and street results have gotten much closer to matching one another, with the caveat that it will never be an exact science, because bullets do weird things in soft tissue.

Carrying a lead bullet, a SJHP, or some 10+ year old design (XTP etc) for SD is just silly....really, how much does a box or two of quality ammo cost???

To the specific question, there are SJHP's designed for SD use, and some for hunting use. Those for SD will likely be designed to expand more easily than those for hunting. In a hunting scenario you don't want the bullet to explode if it hits bone, and it's better to have a bullet that over penetrates than over expands...you can follow the blood trail in a hunting scenario. SD ammo needs to expand larger, and quicker, in an effort to hit something vital, to stop the bad guy right now. The question is whether you know which kind you'd be getting...most SJHP's sold that I've seen have been more suitable for hunting (where reloading makes sense to tune the load to the gun). R,