View Single Post

Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,719 Times in 2,632 Posts

Congratulations on that score. You have a first-rate revolver. A couple of years ago I bought the same package you have -- 6" barrel, inserts, LR cylinder. It letters to May 1963. I love it.

I also bought an 8-3/8" barrel as soon as I saw a loose one. I agree the 4" barrels are tough to find. I have not seen one.

Those LR cylinders can be costly in their own right. I almost never see them offered for sale, and when they do show up they are priced in the $400-500 range. You can't use a regular K-22 cylinder because they are not the same length.

I think I agree that accuracy with a 53 in rimfire mode is not as good as you get with a dedicated K-22 Masterpiece, but squirrels won't usually know whether they are the subject of a dead center hit or one that is a half-inch off. I wouldn't take a 53 to a match, but I'd carry one in the woods or on a tramp through the fields any day of the week (assuming I had any woods or fields around me that were open for tramping).

Early responders, why do you say 1962? Is this the four-screw/three-screw distinction? I can't see the fourth screw in the OP's photos and wonder if there is some other indicator that I don't know about.