View Single Post

Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
You're correct, most of the hype has come from famous gun writer's inventive minds.

Now could handloads be raised as an issue in a less than airtight defense shooting? Sure. Especially in an urban area with less firearms savvy juries.

In your other post, you spoke of the bullet's design being the issue.

I don't know if you've ever been to the Winchester plant, but I've been there a few times. They maintain samples of most major gun models, including very low cost guns, and they test all their ammunition for feeding in them, even their white box loads. It's not in their best interest to ship ammo with feeding problems in common guns, even to Wal Mart. I'm confident feeding is more of a priority in their white box loads than terminal performance of the bullet. Most Wal Mart customers aren't going to return it because it didn't make 12" in bare gel, but if it doesn't feed in their High Point they probably will.

I understand what you're saying, but in a self defense gun, I'd still be concerned about it not feeding, and I'd let S&W fix it. There's no reason for it not to run in your gun.
Everything else has run fine, and Winchester nor anyone else puts the same amount TLC into assembly or components of their low-end lines...not to say you have to get the $20/20rds stuff, but generically speaking you WILL get better ammo with the mid-range price stuff over loss leader promo....you will find burrs on case mouths, inconsistant seating depth, and this particular lot is even VISUALLY inconsistant, older cases mixed with newer, different primer colors, differing levels of light corrosion or speckling....the gun has run perfectly with everything else tried and i'll not be sending a gun back because it doesn't function with one box of cheapo delux ammo....the mouth of the HP would be gouging an aluminum frame, it is going at that straight in, and leaves a blob of lead low and centered on the ramp after a couple of successful shots, and lead shouldn't be touching ANYthing....either they were seated too short, or they have improved ogive on later ammo, which has happened a lot....I can say this ammo though new has been in a warehouse somewhere for a while....but i'm not going to buy this particular style/maker/weight anymore anyhow....their 147s run fine through the gun.....

As for posters claiming their areas are more dangerous, no argument there, mainly as armed populace is so rare...