View Single Post

Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Liked 307 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road View Post
Given the guns of that day, with their ridiculous non-ergonomic wooden grips and solid steel backstraps, this was quite correct! The new generation of recoil absorbing grips (Hogue Tamer, Pachmayr), has been a huge leap forward in the technology that facilitates powerful handguns.

A lot of the urban legend that has developed around handgun recoil, is the result of someone handing an unsuspecting noob a powerful handgun and saying "here, give this a try". I have a buddy who is a LEO and has to qualify regularly with his service pistol, but he won't even touch a .44 (an "intermediate" cartridge by today's standards), because of some long past bad experience!
I'm sure that grips and ergos have something to do with it, but am right now looking at my 629PC 2 5/8" 44 Mag with boot-style grips which expose the entire steel backstrap of the gripframe. I've shot it many times, with full magnum loads.......although confess that I generally wear a glove when I do!!

I think that mindset has a lot to do with it too. Just telling yourself, or having someone tell you "wow this gun is really really really gonna kick!!" is enough to make it really really kick. Kind of like the time when I was in college and we gave a goofy kid who lived in the dorm-room across the hall a shot of tequila, and when he asked for another we grew concerned that he'd get really crazy, so started filling his shot-glass with 7UP, and I swear that he would grimace and lick the salt and bite the lime and say "whoa!!" after each shot, and grew drunker with every one. I think recoil is the same way to some degree, that the idea of it can sometimes make it appear to be different than reality.