View Single Post

Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Liked 307 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiococonut View Post
Not always but I'm sure it does happen. When I first got mine when they came out I was excited to say the least. I had read articles and seen the pictures of the gun in an upright position after firing and I was ready to get knocked on my butt. Reloading components were few and far between so I bought a couple boxes of Hornady 1st run bullets (I still have a full one) and a box of Corbon 440grainers. I took my new found friend and my video camera to the range as soon as they opened up. Lucky for me there was no one there so I set things up and loaded her up. I decided since this was The Most Powerful Revolver in the World I'd shoot it one handed and record it for posterity. With the camera rolling I fired one Corbon round then another. Frankly I was disappointed and shut the video camera off. The gun didn't recoil like I imagined and didn't knock the snot out of me. I thought it recoiled just a little harder than a snub nose 44mag. When I look back at the video you can see the look of "eh" on my face as I shut it off.

Looking back now if I remember correctly my old T/C Contender got my attention more. It had one of JD Jones original 45-70 barrels without a comp and wooden grips. Loaded to the max it hurt the webbing and palm of my hand and I nearly dropped it the first shot. I know there's no comparison between the two platforms but it gave me more than I expected.

This isn't to say the 500 doesn't recoil or have power, but I don't think we've reached the limits just yet.
Your early experience very closely mirrors my own, right down to the choice of ammo. I'd gotten one of the early production 8 3/8" guns and had a couple boxes of 350 grain Hornadys, and a couple of 440 grain CorBons which were reputed to be the ultimate in brutal, pain-inducing recoil. I did not have a video camera. I fired the CorBons first, and was expecting it to be worse than it was. The gun didn't rise particularly high on recoil, but did produce a distinct 'stinger' sensation in the palm of my strong hand. Well, perhaps the limit has not been reached, but mine pretty well has, I have no desire to shoot a handgun that is more powerful than the 500.

I remember back when I was a college kid about 1969 or '70 a friend got a T/C Contender with a 44 Mag. barrel. We went out one day to shoot it. That was the singularly most miserable handgun I've ever shot. I'd rather shoot my 340PD with full loads. The old grip design just hammered the web of the hand, and I suspect the low bore-axis didn't help matters. I've never had an interest in the T/C handguns, despite their utility and popularity, ever since.