View Single Post

Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
If you look at just the muzzle energy numbers the 9mm is a clear winner. The 9mm typically generates about 300 ft.lbs. of muzzle energy from a 4 inch barrel, the 38 spl. comes in at about 200 ft.lbs. Go to +P and there is even more divergence, most commercial loadings of the 9mm +P ranges between 425 and 450 ft.lbs., in comparison the 38 +P only generates about 250 ft.lbs.

BTW, at one point Buffalo Bore offered a load that was labeled as a 38 +P but with a muzzle energy listed at something like 480 ft.lbs. IMO that load would be more properly described as a 38/44. That is a load the approaches Magnum energy levels and I would only use that particular load in a 357 Magnum, IMO it's too hot for a gun rated for 38 +P.

So, if you go purely by the numbers, the 9mm parabellum is a clear winner. However, as noted, you can't get the bullet mass that's available in the 38 spl.. Those numbers are achieved by a combination of higher operating pressure and lighter bullets.

Personally, I think that energy is over emphacized, I believe that choosing a caliber that you are very competant with is far more important. Maybe it's a factor of age and experience, but I've rarely seen someone shooting a 38 spl. that wasn't pretty good with it. I've also seen volumes of 9mm shooters who can't hit a barn door at 30 feet. My advice would be to carry whatever you shoot best with, if that happens to be the 38 spl. just remember that it has about a 100 year history of proving itself to be effective.

Quote:
Personally, I think that energy is over emphasized,
Indeed, and in pistol rounds, it's also meaningless. Many 9mm rounds generate more muzzle energy than .45 ACP.

Pistol bullets merely poke holes in things. Where that hole is poked is the number one concern. Use one that you can accurately poke as big and as deep of a hole as possible.