View Single Post

Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
The Sigma is a great gun very reliable, for those who can not stand the trigger but still want a S&W product the SD or M&P might be a better choice.

The sigma does what it was designed to do, very well I might add. You can safely carry a round chambered without any fear of it going off. The Glock does have a lighter trigger which is why there are so many accidental discharges.

I do believe in modify firearms to suit the shooter but not at the cost of reliability. There are countless videos on YouTube were you see a person putting random springs in the sear assembly. Who knows the weight of these springs or how many cycles they are rated for? Worst case is the springs break and now they are floating in the sear block, not good if you are in a situation were you need the gun to fire.

If a person requires a lighter trigger why on earth did they purchase a Sigma? The firing operation of the Sigma is what makes it a heavy pull it acts just like a revolver. Why not get a firearm which is SA or SA/DA?
Most of the springs they are installing are only fillers for the larger outer spring, and whether it takes a set or not is of no consequence...as for sear springs making a huge difference, i guarantee i could add another 10-15lbs under the sear and you would NOT be able to budge the sear.

As to WHY? buy the Sigma, the answer is simple, even if most people intuit the idea rather than say it outright.....the guns cost under $100 to produce, all overhead including advertising included, whether Glock/XD/M&P/etc and most people blanch rightly at paying $500 or more for PLASTIC (not the manufacturer propaganda "polymer") pistol, when the only true difference between them is the trigger pull...if you don't believe that, then look at the picture below and pick out the $300 gun vs the $500 vs the $400 gun...

Just as a PS again as to WHY?....even as a constant gun toter and even knowing the heavy Sigma trigger is about the safest out there, for not using a dedicated covered-trigger holster or for proof against any inadvertant pressure on trigger while carrying/holstering and the BANG that will surely follow, i looked at some of the easy mods and got the itch, just because it is there...many folk who like guns are also people who like machines, and the Sigma is simpler every time you look at it, and most everyone who looks at one in detail KNOWS they could tackle this one....this isn't like fitting a new sear or extractor to a 1911...this is tinkertoys, and tinkertoys begged to be tinkered.

the above from oct 2010 Handloader magazine, article by Charles Petty

Last edited by mtngunr; 05-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.