View Single Post

Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 79 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
NA225

We didn't have hand held radios the first 7 years I was on the road. You knew the phone number to the places you normally checked out at and advised dispatch. When out on a call you took care of business or went back to the car to call for backup. Most of us actually didn't want walkies to start with, Sam Brown belt was already too heavy and crowded. Today the younger deputies wouldn't know what to do with out a hand held.

Hey I resemble that last part! Actually my father was a cop from 1970 - 1994. For at least his first ten years that was how he conducted business. Times change.
When I went through the academy, every morning when we stood at attention and raised the flag, the instructors conducted inspection. Rain, snow, sleet, it didn't matter (many a day, your index finger felt like it froze alongside the frame of your revolver, waiting for the instructor to get to you). They would check your notebook, whistle, handgun, then look at your ID to verify you had a DIME taped on the back should you need to make a phone call (from a pay phone) to the dispatcher. Walkies.....what was that.... Ahhh, the good ole days!