View Single Post

Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

Liked 1,195 Times in 457 Posts

Carl3989;
Primers that do not fire nearly always show "light strikes". Fired primers back out of the cases, then pressure shoves the cases back, shoving the primers flush. That action causes deeper firing pin indentations in the fired cases. THAT is normal.

However, I would first check the main spring strain screw just to be sure. It should be tightened firmly.

Since you had misfires in your 1911, also, I suggest it is an ammo problem. I would suggest Federal factory for your qualification as Federal primers are known to be softer (they are my chosen brand for everyday use as well as self defense ammo).

You have learned two lessons with your near misfortune. Always fire enough of the chosen ammo to be certain it is compatible with your guns. Second, ALWAYS take extra ammunition.

I am also a fan of Apex Tactical's "extra length" firing pins. They are my choice for my two 625's as well as my daily carry 642 and my Performance Center 629 Light Hunter (which was plagued by misfires until I replaced the springs and firing pin).

As something else to consider - I am NOT a fan of "too light" actions on Smith revolvers. I use Jerry Miculek's spring kits (Bang.com) but set the double action at 9.0 lbs and single action at 3.0 pounds for sure strike on any major company primer, including Winchester's. I use a Lyman trigger pull gauge (electronic) to check both single and double action when setting them up. This is considerably lighter than factory issue but works with most anything I run through the revolvers.

A thought or two...

Dale53