View Single Post

Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I'm another veteran of the LAPD. I worked the same Division as Hettinger just before he was pensioned off. They had him working Detectives. He was visibly a broken man. I heard he was also an alcoholic. Of all places to retire, he moved to Bakersfield and started a gardening business.

I have my Dads (K-38, 6") that he had to purchase when he joined LAPD in 1950. When I came on in 1964 they issued both the 6" Smith and the 6" Colt Officers Model Match. I received the Colt. When they went to double action only revolvers in the 70s they picked up all the Colts and sold them because they didn't convert to the double action mode very well.
They would not give us the opportunity to buy them. A buddy of mine located his in New Mexico and bought it off the new owner. I wish I still had mine. When they picked up our Colts they issued the 4" S & W model 14 which I still have. The officers with the 6" pistols could keep them but had to have them converted to double action only. My Dads pistol has the "M" grips. So did my Colt. I wish I knew how to post a picture.