View Single Post

Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Liked 157 Times in 52 Posts
Default Thanks Guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifflinKid View Post
David Sinko answered that one. If you understand Jerry's DVD and you have a proper set of screwdriver tips you'll be fine. I used a small needle nose plier to pull the pin that retains the firing pin. Just don't let the factory firing pin get away from you as it is lightly spring loaded.

I polished the Apex Tactical XP firing pin using some Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish before installing it. Also, while the firing pin was out of the frame I took a small drill bit and ran it through the firing pin bushing hole to remove any burrs. I just twirled it with thumb and finger.

I've read that S&W now puts slightly shorter firing pins in their guns to help them pass some state-level drop safety tests. I have replaced all of my newer S&W internal firing pins with the Apex Tactical XP firing pin and springs. As I recall the AT XP firing pins are about .005" to .006" longer than the stock firing pins. I doesn't seem like much but it does the trick.
Oh yeah, the AT XP spring is made of thiner wire so that probably allows the firing pin to move farther and faster, improving ignition.
I'll have to give that a try.