View Single Post

Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM

Liked 5,435 Times in 1,762 Posts

For years I struggled to master DA shooting using the "stage-the-trigger" method, where you pull the trigger to a point just before the hammer falls, pause briefly the align the sights, then finish the pull. One day I happend to be at the range wtih a retired police officer/competitive shooter shooting next to me. In a 15-minute coaching session, he taught me the "smooth stroke" method, and I never looked back.

Proper dryfire practice is the key. With an UNLOADED gun (I don't even have ammo in the same room), pick a target, align your sights on it, and smoothly stroke the trigger all the way through -- not a jerk, no staging, just a smooth, all-the-way-through stroke. Concentrate on keeping the front sight on your chosen target. At first, the sight will move wildly away from the point of aim. Keep at it, and soon the sight will be staying where it should be. At your next live-fire session, you will see the difference.

As for trigger jobs, I learned long ago not to mess with J-frame springs. The system as it comes from the factory is delicately balanced, and lessening spring power even a little bit can lead to unreliable ignition. If you feel you must improve the trigger, concentrate on smoothing all contact points within the action, and leave the springs alone. Smooth is the key, in the action and in your trigger pull.