View Single Post

Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM

Liked 340 Times in 164 Posts

I gave this a fair amount of thought, and have to say that I like my Pythons a bit better than my 27 (or other N frame .357s I have owned over the years. This is reflected in the number of each ncurrently in my collection - 3 Pythons (2.5" Nickel, 4" Blue, 6" Factory-Tuned Stainless) vs. 1 Mod 27 (8 3/8" Nickel). I like the action of the Python a bit better than the 27 (although all are excellent), and the Pythons are, generally, a bit more accurate than any of my N-Frame .357s have been, and I've owned a bunch more Pythons and N-Frame .357s over the years, of varying barrel lengths. I like the balance of the Python a bit more than a similar barrel length 27, as well. Top off those factors with Colt's beautiful Royal Blue finish, which is, IMHO, superior to even older 27 bluing, and the scale is tipped, for me, in favor of the Python. That being said, none of my Pythons or my 27 will be leaving my possession - all are wonderful guns that are a joy to shoot! Frankly, it comes down to personal preference.

One other thing - many will bemoan the Python's supposedly "delicate" action. Not true, in my experience. My Dad's 4" Blue Python was in the family since around 1960 (I believe it was a first year 4" gun), and was the first centerfire handgun I shot (handgun training was with Dad's 1954/55 K-22, so I have a long history with both Pythons and S&W) until it, along with a lot of other guns, was stolen a few years ago. It was carried and fired a lot (daily, back in the '60s) over the years, and never did go out of time even a bit, keeping the "bank vault" lockup all that time. Oh yeah, almost all of the shooting was with full power .357 magnums, with .38 Specials having been used very little in that gun. My 2.5" Python (built in 1965) was also carried and fired a lot over the years, and started showing some of the very early signs of a timing problem last year. I sent it to Colt, and they went through the gun and brought the action back to new specs for a very nominal charge (less than $90, including shipping), and it is now as good as, or better than, new. Not bad, one repair over 45 years of constant use. They also replaced the sights (per my request, but at no charge) with new sights (RR front, White Outline Rear), as the original matte nickel sights were too darn hard to see any more (getting old). Yes, repairs to Colt DA revolvers require either a smith very experienced in them or a trip to the factory, IMHO, but S&Ws need occasional repair, also - it is, usually, a bit easier to do for most gunsmiths. S&Ws also go out of time occasionally (we did a lot of S&W timing repairs when I owned my gun shop), as well as developing end shake and other malfunctions. All are mechanical devices, and will require maintenance over time.

Again, it comes down to personal preference. I think the best solution to the quandary is to have both, Pythons and 27s. Colt's premier handgun, and S&W's top-of-the-line .357. Can't go wrong with that - truly the best of both worlds!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: