View Single Post

Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Liked 623 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartthang View Post
My husband and I have been looking everywhere for info on this gun. We have inherited quite a collection of guns and are trying to figure out what we have. The top is marked "MERWIN HULBERT & CO. NEW YORK U.S.A. PAT. APR.17.77 JUNE 15.80 MARCH 14.82 JAN .83" The grips are mother of pearl- one side carved with Mexican eagle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Beautiful Merwin Hulbert! The Mexican eagle on the grips means it probably was shipped to Mexico originally.
Merwin Hulberts were made at the Hopkins & Allen factory. In 1871 MH became the sole distributor for H&As guns. They remained until about 1896. They were the highest quality arms that were made at the Hopkins and Allen plant and were as good if not better than anything else that was available at the time.
There are others here that know more than I do about MH history that will probably chime in. There is a book on them by an author named Art Phelps who passed away a while ago. The book is out of print and very expensive. You can learn a bit more here:

merwin hulbert

Terry Wagner is also a forum member here and was a good friend of Art Phelps. Perhaps he will be along to comment on your fine Merwin Hulbert.