View Single Post

Old 06-02-2011, 04:05 AM

Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike, SC Hunter View Post
My $0.05's worth. I have both. A 6" python from the custom shop in 1980 and lots of Smiths. My Python went of time and I had to peen the legs on the 2 stepped hand to bring it back in time. Twice I've had to replace the V-shaped main spring due to getting light primer hits(miss fires). Its a beautiful gun, abeit a bit delicate if you shoot it alot.
Never had those problems with any of my .357 Smiths. My vote goes to Smith & Wessons 27's/28's.

from what I understand of Smith and Colt both companies started cheapening out on their manufacturing processes (crush fitting the barrel of the gun into the frame on the Smith 19 in particular and I remember reading somewhere that colt started doing the same thing)
Use of Magnum Loads in S&W Model 19 and Other K-Frame Magnums

and that the tooling for the guns started to wear out and it seems like the date that all of that cra-p started happening was about 1980, so chances are if you traded that thing in for one from 1966 or so you wouldnt have any trouble with that particular python vs the one you have

basically try and go for a pre 1980's gun, the earlier the better and you can track the serial numbers for the colts here:
1965 Colt Python

and the reason why I know this is because I've played around with the idea of getting one but $1400 for a python in MA is WAYYY too much money, especially when the ones I've found are post 1980 guns and I know of one other person who mentioned they had a post 1980 gun and had it go out of time on them too.

FYI I did still try to buy it off him at the time (didnt know about that rule of thumb at the time) wouldn't budge though.

I am however thinking of playing the C and R game and trying to get one in for a sub K price that was made in the 50's but my to do list is kinda building up on me, plus I got a Dan Wesson as a stop gap till I find one.

although the model 27 is kinda an unappreciated classic right now and half the price so its kinda a coin toss between the two for now, but first that 645 project I've been barking on about for awhile.

Last edited by Kavinsky; 06-02-2011 at 04:26 AM.