View Single Post

Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

I would like to add to all of the above and say that you might see if they have a website that has the rules listed. That way you can read through them a few times before you even get there. Also, if possible, try to save your brass. I’m one of those guys that used to think used brass was just trash. I smack myself for the years of remains I left behind. Even if you don’t reload it yourself, you could save it up and sell it here in the classified section for money for your ammo budget. But be aware that more and more ranges, especially indoor ranges, are going to being “lost brass” ranges. That means if it hits their floor then it is theirs. Most of the time you will just get warned if they see you, but they can kick you out since it is their range rules. I don’t like that rule but I just stay away from those ranges. Last but not least, I would say doubling the hearing protection at indoor ranges should be a must. Any high velocity ammo is still ear splitting with just one layer and still annoying enough to sometimes cause a flinch even when doubled. Get a person next to you popping of .40SW or .357 magnums and you will see.

One more last thing: Try calling ahead and asking when they aren’t so busy. I try to go in the afternoons during the week. They are just about empty. If I go on the weekends we are all piled on top of each other. No fun.

Ah, and yes, tell us what you plan to bring... Everyone will be able to add more great advice if you tell us your firearm of choice and what will be in your range bag... I bring my own masking tape, staple gun with extra staples, target repair sticky patches, extra hearing and eye protection, a multitool, extra targets, a basic cleaning kit to include an oil bottle and a few wiping rags, and more. But then again, I was raised a boy scout and will die one someday... My coffin may even be stocked with extra stuff...