Thread: +P Wadcutter
View Single Post

Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Liked 282 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
It is worth remembering that the idea of shooting wadcutters for defensive loads is nothing new. Years ago Peters marketed a .38 special Service Wadcutter load with a 158 grain bullet at 850 fps. I have seen pictures of boxes and ammo. McGivern makes a very brief reference to them in his book.

I also have scans of an old S&W add for the 2" M&P in .38 spl from the 20s or 30s that discussed the use of the Mid Range Wadcutter as an option when you wanted a lighter load because "the sharp shouldered design of this wad cutter makes it an extraordinarily effective man-stopper at short ranges" and "the design of the bullet acts to reduce ... the possibility of the bullet ricocheting and injuring bystanders".
In 25+ years of collecting 38Spl rounds I have never seen nor documented the existance of a 158gr WC load by any major manufacturer. I would certainly be interested in any proof that you have showing the existance of a Peters brand 158WC load.

Also, guns/ammo ads from the 20s and 30s really don't mean much. Back in those days the 38S&W/38Colt NP and the 32Long were still in service with LEAs, and the .32 continued even into the 60s as "Police Women's" caliber. Guns/ammo manufacturers advertised all kinds of claims in order to sell their products. Stating that the 38Spl wadcutter is/was an effective alternate to the standard LRN or SWC is no different.