View Single Post

Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
Experiencing body splits with Nickel plated Remington brass is very common. I have seen more defective brass from Remington than any other brand, and this includes new bulk brass and factory loaded ammunition.

Anyone who has reloaded for more than a few months to a year or two is well aware of this, hardly anything to "Warn" people about. Like others have said, don't buy Remington brass, Nickel or otherwise!

A part of the problem is that Remington brass, particularly handgun calibers, is thinner than other brands. I have seen many times where standard dies will not size Remington cases small enough to obtain adequate neck tension in many calibers because it is so thin.

The unfortunate thing is that at one time, 35-40 years ago, Remington was the preferred brass for many applications, but no longer!!!!!!

After reviewing other posts: The problem isn't with Nickel plated cases, it is Remington Nickle plated brass. I have hundreds or Winchester and W-W Nickel .38 Special that I have loaded more times than I have any idea, have had them since 1969 when I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of fired, previously commercially reloaded, brass from our range. Some of it has been polished so many times the plating has worn off them!

For Andyo5 and Runningiron. These are the reasons Carbide dies are made. Nothing will scratch them, only Diamond is harder. The coefficient of friction is so low that typically it is easier to size in a Carbide die dry than in a steel die with lubrication. If you are using a Carbide die and believe you have experienced a scratched die from either Nickel or abrasive grit you are imagining things, it doesn't happen. If you are using a Carbide sizer and lubricating, and think sizing is difficult, your expectations of how easily cartridge cases should size are simple too high.

I have used Carbide sizers ever since they finally became available at anything resembling a reasonable price, around 1970. I have sized probably over a million rounds through them in all available calibers and have never experienced anything that could be called difficult sizing, and have never lubricated. The only times I have seen a case scratched in a Carbide sizer was one RCBS die the ring cracked in, and a brand new Dillon .41 Magnum sizer. It took three trips to Dillon before the die didn't scratch brass. They never admitted to having repaired it! They finally polished it, I know because I marked the body with a small nick so I would know if it had been replaced! They still would not admit that their product had been defective.
You need to re-read my post. I never said the dies were scratched or meant to. What happens is that nickel particles get in the die then that scratches the regular brass, not the die. It's just better for me to use an old die for the nickel stuff. I'm sure you are right within your own experience though. I also think that if I lube the brass this might help. I never used to lube 44 magnum but as I get older and my injuries have more effect on my body, I too have found that spraying a little lube on them makes it much easier. 44 special is much easier for me now and need no lube, but maybe in the future I will lube those too. Every one in life has walked a different path and as they get older has to deal with actions and injuries of that path. I'm just glad I can still reload, even if I need to lube some times to make it easier. Thanks for the lube idea, might help with the nickel.

Last edited by running iron; 06-11-2011 at 11:11 PM.