View Single Post

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Liked 3,122 Times in 776 Posts

I own both and regularly shoot both. I keep a 627PC at home and carry the 686-5+ in 4 inch. Or I leave the 686P at home and carry the 627PC. (and I formerly owned a 627 Pro but no longer).

Mainly I carry the 686 as it has a brushed finish and is easier to polish out with life's lil knocks and bumps. Neither gun has experienced any knocks and/or bumps but that's what I tell myself anyway. But here's how I would decide your issue were it me.

What do you want to shoot in it all the time?

Yeah, yeah, I know, EITHER will handle more .357's than I can ever afford and will stand up to them just fine but...for me...the N frame is just a tad easier to shoot with full bore .357's than the L. Ergonimics perhaps? Don't know cause the 627 is lighter but whatever it is, it is. Additionally, Stainiz is dead on about the brightness of the dovetailed front on the 627PC. Was going to "mod" it but it's pretty darned nice in llow light as is so as is is how it's staying.

Not so with my 686. That one is wearing an express rear and will soon have a gold bead on the front. That too is a VERY fast set up for me and even without the bead, it's pretty fast. Just dot the "I" and..."boom". And that one shoots like a lazer beam with Gold Dots n .38+p. Relatively mild recoil, very fast followup and I seem to shoot it just a tad better than the 627 with full bore mags.

It also came down to mostly carrying the 686 as it is easier to load with speedloaders than the 627. Forget about moonclips in .38/357's, especially with 8 rounders. Might as well call them speedwobblers imo. What is pretty simple in .45 is a whole nother animal with smaller diameter casings. In short, at the moment, I'm shooting the 686 a tad faster and better than the 627. Maybe a training issue and with more use the 627 would improve but...it's not like this is a problem as I'm glad I have both.

So...imo...the same thing applies to your choice. Whichever fits YOU best will be the best choice. Thanks for letting me ramble on, post a pic or ten when you get your choice, and welcome to the forum.