View Single Post

Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 39-2 recoil spring guide rod question

First time poster, long time lurker. I have gained alot of very useful information from these forums. I finally have a question to ask. I have owned a fair number of S&W revolvers, and have recently acquired my very first S&W pistol: an early? (ser# A158XXX) Model 39-2. Excellent condition, looks like it has barely been fired. It has an aluminum recoil spring guide rod assembly that has a bit of finish wear on the end. Not all scarred-up, just has some finish worn off and bare aluminum exposed. I saw a new excellent condition factory guide rod on an auction site, placed a bid, and received it today. The rod looks identical, has the same length and diameter, but is a steel rod instead of an aluminum rod. The spring loaded plunger on the end is just a tiny bit shorter on the new one, also. It was advertised as being for a model 39 or 59. I am guessing that the steel guide rod is actually for a second generation steel framed pistol? Could I still use it in my aluminum frame 39-2? Would there be any benefit in using it instead of the original aluminum rod? The original aluminum rod isn't bent or defective in any way, but I would like to use the steel one if it is considered to be more durable or reliable. I wasn't sure if this post should be in the gunsmithing forum, but thought it might get more exposure in this one. Thanks very much for any advice or insights.