View Single Post

Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 13,969 Times in 3,390 Posts

Nice call box WhiteCoyote. Identical to the ones I used in the late 70s while walking a beat in the 7th Precinct. The last one I used was at E Grand Blvd and Gratiot across from a Coney Island where I ate on occassion.
I actually miss those days. Walking a beat is very interesting and keeps you more in touch with the community.

I used to hear a lot of "Ben Turpin" stories from the old timers in the neighborhood while walking.

Ben Turpin was one of Detroit's first black officers and is a legend on Detroit's east side. He carried two 45 caliber revolvers and was to have made his own bullet proof vest from a piece of boiler plate with leather straps. Naturally he worked one of the highest crime areas in Detroit, that being the old "Black Bottom" of "Paradise Valley". Other wise known as Hastings street and surrounding area. This I believe was part of the old "Hunt Street Precinct" which later became precinct #7.
Story goes that he actually killed one of the Purple Gang. He also ran a youth baseball league, much like the current day police athletic leagues.

Last edited by moosedog; 08-14-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: found better data