View Single Post

Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Liked 22,823 Times in 5,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
I love the NG series with the exceptions of the pictures of cracked frames, the scandium price tag, and the usual complaint of the ILS hole. I kept coming close to buying the 310 but the price kept me at a distance. The only thing that would have made it better was to offer the same deal in a three inch. There is a forum member who was looking to sell a three inch 386 Airlite that had the same sights and I was sorely tempted. I’m not sure what held me back besides once again the price. Scandium just can’t cost that much. I don’t know if they are using the sights made by C&S or D&L Sports though. I love the D&L Sports sights. I want to swap my six inch barrel for a four inch on my 629 and add those sights. But now I’m day dreaming again. So many projects so little money…
I have a 310NG in addition to a 327NG. BTW, that may have been my 386 that you were looking at.

Cracked frames are common on all S&W alloy frame revolvers going back for decades. There is nothing new here. S&W quickly resolves the issue should you get a bad one.

As to Scandium. . . . It is one of the rarest substances on earth, right up there with Gold. In-fact the prices are very similar. Fortunately the firearms are not made of pure Sc or we could never afford them. It is aluminum alloyed with Scandium. Just a small amount of Scandium makes the Aluminum much stronger, much MUCH STRONGER.

The 310NG is a GREAT revolver. I have opened my chambers up so that the revolver will now fire 10MM Magnum, 10MM Auto and 40S&W interchangeably. I have done the same with both of my 610s as well.

The 310NG is a handful with the 10MM Magnum ammunition, but controlable and easy to carry.

Last edited by colt_saa; 06-17-2011 at 12:47 PM.