View Single Post

Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,513 Times in 932 Posts

Hello Waldo, I have owned quite a few Hi Powers over the last 40+ years, to include a .30 Luger and an early .40 S&W. The .40 was done right IMHO. FN added slide mass, about two ounces, and a third locking lug. The frame is the sameas the 9MM cast frame guns. Mine was 100% reliable, the chamber was well supported, overall a very nice gun. But, as Joe Kent mentioned with his .40, not real accurate. I noticed, as maybe some of you other .40 owners have, that the there was about .4" of bore diameter freebore ahead of the chamber, before the actual rifling leade began. I always wondered if the freebored area was the reason for the less-than-great accuracy and if the later .40 Hi Powers also had the "freebored" barrels. There was mention in a gun magazine a few years ago that gunsmith Richard Heinie had also noticed the accuracy issue in the .40 Hi Power. It was reported that Mr. Heinie was considering having to include an after market barrel, BarSto ?, in his .40 Hi Power packages to provide the expected level of accuracy to his customers. Anyway, that's a good price for a gun in good condition. I might even own one again someday, if I found a clean one for a very reasonable price...