View Single Post

Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Liked 5,441 Times in 1,764 Posts
Default Help me! Pleasant quandry

I find myself in a pleasant quandry, and it is such that I am not sure whether to post in this section or the semiauto section, as it involves both a fine revolver and a flat gun. Forgive me if I put it here, and ask your opinions.

A friend called me today. An acquaintance of his has two S&Ws for sale, and my buddy is stone broke at this time or he would buy both. He has passed the opportunity along to me. I am not as broke as he, but my budget will allow only one purchase right now.

Here are my choices. Number 1 is a perfectly pristine 1948-production pre-Model 10, 5" barrel. I can see absolutely no sign that it has ever been fired. Folks, few leave the factory as perfect as this one, and to find one 63 years old in this condition is all but unheard-of.

Number 2 is likewise flawless, though! It is an early-serial number Model 39-2 without a single scratch, ding, rub or smudge anywhere on it. We all know there's never been a purtier semiauto built. It comes with 2 mags, but neither it nor the roundgun has a box, papers, etc.

Now, the hard part. The asking price is $450 each, but the owner has indicated that $400 cash will get either one, and he is holding both for me until tomorrow, at which time he is moving on and shopping for other buyers. I have no doubt both will be gone before Monday.

I am an accumulator and a shooter, not a collector, so either one of these will get shot aplenty if I get it, although it will be lovingly cared-for.

Put yourselves in my shoes, and tell me -- what would you choose, and why? I know, I know, buy both! But unfortunately, only one is in the cards right now.