View Single Post

Old 06-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Liked 548 Times in 311 Posts

I've carried a number of .45s over the years to include worn-out Ithica and Remington Rand military issue, personally owned Spingfield and Colt, Glock 21s, and the M&P 45 full sized. For every day carry, I am most happy with the M&P. Its not a great concealed carry gun, but its smaller than a Glock and fits my hand well. Considering that a comparable 1911 that has been proven reliable costs a lot more, I'm happy with the M&P and will probably add a 45C to the collection one of these days to replace my Glock 23. I played with one featuring a thumb safety at a gun store and was not impressed. It just didn't have the solid, positive feel of a 1911 safety, and since the M&P was first designed for safe carry without, I could not see any need for it. My 45 has just over 4K rounds through it - all 230 grain factory - FMJ, Hydra Shok, Golden Saber and has never malfunctioned. I simply keep it lightly lubed, which is a smart thing for any pistol regardless of manufacture. The closest thing to a malfunction was recently when a very dirty magazine in a very dirty pistol failed to lock back after the last round a couple of times. After I wiped it down, it seemed to work again without a hint of problem. In terms of accuracy, its as good as any service grade pistol out there. I've got over 20 years of experience shooting Glocks and know their strengths and shortcomings. I've only got about three with the M&P, but so far I am comfortable with this platform. A well-tuned 1911 is a great pistol, but its not for everyone. Furthermore, consider a pistol used during a lawful self-defense shooting will be confinscated as evidence until the case clears. I'll cry less having to hand over and possibly never seeing my $500 M&P than my $1,200 - up 1911 again.